RE: hi! I is it a way to make a transparent proxy server for ftp and telnet?

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:33:35 -0000

> From: Merton Campbell Crockett [SMTP:mcc@TO.GD-ES.COM]
>
> A transparent Telnet proxy changes the source address presented to the
> target system.

        That requires a masquerading router (or more generally,
        Network Address Translating) not an application level
        proxy. For example, this is a kernel level function in
        Linux whereas a user level application is needed for
        application layer proxying.

> Depending upon local security policies, the user may, or may not, be
> required to authenticate. If required to authenticate, usage restrictions
> may be applied based on the specific user.

        That's not transparent.

> If authentication is not required, the use of a transparent Telnet proxy,
> typically, regulates Telnet usage by limiting the resources available for
> establishing a connection.

        That can be done using bandwidth shaping in the router at
        just below the transport layer, rather than the application
        layer.