Re: figuring page fault/http request ratio

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 05:24:25 +0100

Jay Wilson wrote:

> Do I need to include the ICP requests in the equation to figure the ratio
> between http requests and page faults??

No. ICP requests isn't HTTP requests, and is handled very differently.

Please note that this ratio is not very useful on most OS:es. You are
most likely better off using the OS monitoring tools like
sar/vmstat/iostat and their cousins. What you need to look for is if the
box is short of memory. Exacly what to look for varies a little between
the different OS:es.

If your iostat includes a "sr" column, then this is probably the best
measure to look for.

If it is a linux box, then the vmstat columns "si" and "so" is the
interesting ones..

these should be low on a Squid server (preferably 0).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker