Re: can squid use a local named for lookups???

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:45:10 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Jay Wilson wrote:

JW} Has anyone ever tried to run a copy of named (caching only, not
JW} authoritative records) on the same box as squid, and have squid use it for
JW} resolving DNS instead of using a separate nameserver?? Any reason why it
JW} would not work?? Can anyone think of advantages/disadvantages or is it moot?
JW} This may be already built into squid but I am a squid newbie and the FAQ's
JW} are pretty vague about the whole lookup process as it relates to squid.

Except for one system, BIND runs on all systems that have Squid running.
In addition, all systems running BIND are authoritative name servers and
are forwarders for all internal name servers, i.e. they have extremely
rich caches.

The only system that I have had problems with is the one that doesn't run
BIND. It's resolv.conf refers to one of the authoritative name servers.
Squid will occassionally exit when the system is rebooted due to dnsserver
tests failing.

                             Merton Campbell Crockett
| Manager, Network Operations & Services | Chief Network/Security Engineer |
| General Dynamics Electronic Systems | Naval Surface Warfare Center |
| Intelligence Systems Organization | Port Hueneme Division |
| Thousand Oaks, CA | Port Hueneme, CA |