Re: Can I set up Squid to use automatic proxying?

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:05:17 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Stan Brown wrote:

> The primary purpose isn't so much to allow junkbuster to be
> integrated, although that seems easier, if all the clients acll the
> squid server for every request anyw, as it was to allow the squid
> proxy to cache for both internet, and intranet queries. How can I do
> this withou having the clints call squid for every request? And if I
> use the autoproxy function, won't thye bypass squid for the intranet
> queries (IE DIRECT?). Or do I need 2 copies of squid runing (yuch).

Well, yes, with the proxy.pac that I wrote the clients will go direct for
your intranet, but it is a very simple matter to remove this section from
the script. As for the clients calling Squid for every request, this is
actually what you want - the clients always call a server for every
request (that's what a request is), and that server is either the web
server or Squid, depending on how you set up your network.

> I ksut want the clinets to call the squid machine for every request,
> then have suid figure out if it can go direct, or if i must call the
> SOCKS host.
>
> Is that what your ACL solutin does?

That's what I was aiming for, but you should heed Henrik's comments about
SOCKSifying Squid, and how complicated it might be.

> Thanks for the help on this. I'm pretty knew at this, just discovered
> auto proxying Friday :-) so forgive my lacj of knowledge here.

I think that you mean 'transparent' when you say 'auto' - the only real
meaning that I can attach to 'auto proxying' is using a proxy
auto-configuration system such as I described. Transparent proxying, on
the other hand, refers to having a router (such as a Linux host) intercept
certain TCP/IP connections (say, all those made to port 80) and redirect
them to a proxy server. This breaks TCP/IP, but can be made to work quite
well if one is careful and aware of the consequences.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781