Re: ICP packets not showing up in logs ...

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:28:33 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:

> cache_peer proxy1.mel.connect.com.au parent 8080 3130
> cache_peer proxy2.mel.connect.com.au parent 8080 3130
> cache_peer proxy.syd.connect.com.au parent 8080 3130 no-query default
>
> yet in my logs (using calamaris) I see no ICP:
>
> Does ICP work hoizontal (ie amongst siblings) ONLY or does it work vertical
> (ie parent <-> kid) relations ship as well.

ICP will work with either type of peer, but it is not particularly useful
if your parent is on the other end of your only Internet link, as all
traffic will have to go through the link whether you ask your parent to
fetch it for you or you fetch it directly.

Do Connect.Com have multiple proxies for any reason other than redundancy?

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781