Re: DON'T CACHE JAVASCRIPTS

From: Mark Cooke <mpc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:59:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, CTOC-MICHAEL W MEYER wrote:

> We noticed when the kids pick a "fortune cookie" from the site
> www.new-year.co.uk/chinese/index1.htm they get the same fortune every
> time they select. When we go directly to the site (or through N2H2
> "bess" as a parent cache) the fortune cookie works correctly.

The javascript opens www.new-year.co.uk/chinese/cookie.cfm in a new
window. This file does not set cache-control parameters correctly when
the file is sent out from the server. There is a META HTTP-EQUIV tag
in the page source, but that's not seen by squid - only by the
end-browser. Hence the browser will try to reload, but squid's not
been told that this is a no-cache page, and will return the cached
version.

> What wud be a general entry in squid.conf to go direct for javascripts
> since I don't want to configure this by url?

It's not 'javascripts' that are the problem. It's that this cfm
doesn't appear to set cache control headers (and is returning dynamic
content).

Either:

1. Tell squid not to cache anything returned from a .cfm
2. Tell squid not to cache this particular URL / site.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Cooke The views expressed above are mine and are not
Systems Programmer necessarily representative of university policy
University Of Birmingham URL: http://www.sr.bham.ac.uk/~mpc/