Re: Squid Speeds

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 03:52:23 +0000

Lennon wrote:

> I have a strange situation.. ( I am in New Zealand)
> We have a squid proxy and we try and got most users onto it..
> If users use our proxy server they can get 3-4K/sec peak time (and from the
> office I can get 20K/sec)
> But if we point our proxy to use a parent one (xtra's proxy in New Zealand)
> I can get 4-5K/sec from a dialup and 30-40K/sec from the office here)
> Any if they don't use the proxy server they get 1-2K/sec and from the office
> about 10K/sec
> Anyone have any idea why is we point our proxy server towards another we get
> much faster rates (on the same bandwidth to the provider)
>
> Copy of relivant config (removed other stuff) (this machine has 2 ip
> addresses (202.49.244.8/210.55.192.29)
> It is set always to use the xtra proxy server (a squid proxy server) except
> for local addresses(xtra wont' allow icp yet)

My gut instinct says this is an end-to-end latency issue. Bits of my brain
(that I laughingly refer to as the common-sense bits) say that several hops
each with a small end-to-end latency will perform better than a long-haul
connection, even if the total latency on the long connection is slightly less
than the sum of the smaller hops.

So long as the machines at each hop are not bottlenecks in and of themselves.

This is especially apparent as the link bandwidth narrows towards the
retriever.