Re: What's the advantage in v2.3 internet dnsserver?

From: Chris Tilbury <Chris.Tilbury@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:39:20 +0000

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 01:54:07AM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Duane Wessels wrote:
>
> > The number of dnsserver processes affects how many
> > outstanding queries you can have at one time.
> > If you didn't specify enough dnsserver child process
> > you got warnings, or your users had to wait longer
> > than necessary for one to become free.
>
> Not to mention that Squid aborts with a fatal error if the DNS backlog
> queue to the external dnsserver processes grows a little large. This is
> commonly seen when there are DNS server performance problems.

Someone else has already mentioned this here, but the downside is that the
internal dnsserver code doesn't seem to be 100% reliable yet (at least on
Solaris, which I think is the platform the other report came from).

Certainly here, on our fairly loaded site cache (50 requests per second,
Solaris 7, with 60Gbyte Cache, 1Gbyte memory and two CPUs), we get fairly
spurious (and regular) "server failures" reported by squid for resolving
hostnames.

We're still using the external dnsservers at the moment because of that.

Chris

--
SQUID Frequently Asked Questions -> http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ.html
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick