RE: Increasing MEM_HIT in Squid: just add RAM?

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:23:18 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Steve Snyder wrote:

> > However, the ultimate test is of course whether it improves your web
> > surfing experience, and since it does, you should do it. Heed the N/3
> > rule of thumb, and go for it.
>
> Umm.. could you jog my memory as to what the "N/3 rule of thumb" is?

Oh, sorry - I saw it mentioned recently, so I assumed that it was in this
list. Henrik or Duane or someone equally expert suggested that you decide
how much RAM you can afford for running Squid (on a dedicated proxy box,
this might be as much as all but 10-20 Mb), call this 'N' and set
cache_mem to N/3.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781