Content-length 2.3STABLE1 error?

From: William R Thomas <wthomas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 21:03:32 -0600

Today I have been trying to setup squid as an accelerator. I was
having alot of problems and eventually determined none of my pages
using server side includes were caching. The nearest I could tell is
that no pages which failed to set the Content-length header were
getting cached. All documents on the server I wish to accelerate set
Expires and Cache-control headers.

I looked through the FAQ and could see nothing about that being the
way squid works, so I installed 2.2STABLE5 and it does not seem to
have this problem. I.e. it correctly caches documents with no
Content-length specified.

I didn't see any posts mentioning this problem in the archives of the
list so I thought I would post it up.

Additionally I noticed once I got 2.2STABLE5 working that Squid does
not add a Content-length header to documents which don't originally
have one. I always sort of assumed that an accelerating webcache
would do minor stuff like that to fixup deficiencies. It would make
sense to me, though I will admit I could be missing something, that if
the accelerator decides to cache a document, it knows the
content-length and should fix that header. It is also possible I
missed a configuration option which will do this.

--
       William R. Thomas
       PowerUser Technologies              Email: wthomas@poweruser.com