RE: PRE-DOWNLOAD SITES?

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:06:32 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Dave J Woolley wrote:

> > e.g so it would fetch the entire site over nitem and in the morning i
> > could surf it through cache?
>
> Many commercial sites consider this to be unauthorised access (i.e.
> hacking). Please get written permission before attempting it.

We've kind of discussed this one before :). From the sites you've
mentioned and others I've investigated myself, I think that generally
"unauthorised access" is not an appropriate term - "unauthorised use"
seems much more applicable, and I make the distinction because
the crime associated with unauthorised access is, as you say, hacking,
whereas unauthorised use does not match up to a crime as such, other than
perhaps breach of copyright, which we have previously decided is a
somewat complicated issue for the Internet... Web sites are now starting
to publish 'Conditions of Use' which in my opinion are probably less
legally effective than shrink-wrap licenses.

Personally, I would not be at all concerned about pre-caching a site,
regardless of any supposed conditions of use printed on that site.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781