Re: squid and mrtg.

From: Glenn Chisholm <glenn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:56:58 -0700 (MST)

> i know this isn't the correct list, but...i haven't seen a thread on the
> squid-snmp list in a while nor did i see a thread that answers my
> question in that archive.

        It is correct enough.

> i'd like to get squid and mrtg working. problem is mrtg's cfgmaker
> doesn't understand the syntax of ./cfgmaker community'@'router':3401.

        I do not believe that 'cfgmaker' works with squid. It is a router
based tool.

> i also stumbled across an mrtg patch at:
>
> http://ircache.nlanr.net/Cache/Statistics/mrtg/mrtg-squid-patch
> (NOTE: link was **NOT** in the squid FAQ
> http://squid.ircache.net/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-18.html)
>
> to patch mrtg. but it doesn't say *HOW* to apply the patch.
> i've played with the patch.

        It is because that patch is old, very old in fact. It is for very
early versions of MRTG.

> i've also taken the mrtg-squid-snmp.cfg from the link at:
>
> http://ircache.nlanr.net/Cache/Statistics/mrtg/mrtg-squid-snmp.cfg
> and made the appropriate changes. here's the error message i get.
>
> SNMPGET: Failed to reach target:
> "cacheHttpErrors&cacheHttpErrors:public@137.140.1.88:3401". I tried
> multiple times!
> Unknown SNMP var cacheHttpHits
> Unknown SNMP var cacheHttpHits
> SNMPGET: Failed to reach target:
> "cacheHttpHits&cacheHttpHits:public@137.140.1.88:3401". I tried multiple
> times!
>
> i wouldn't expect this would work b/c i couldn't apply the patch anyways.
>
> the other information i've found is outdated. at least it's for squid-1.x
> w/o the snmp interface for it.
>
> i can query the squid snmp interface b/c as the FAQ says, use snmpwalk to
> test it.
>
> ajstack@beavis >snmpwalk -p 3401 hostname public .1.3.6.1.4.1.3495.1.1
>
> enterprises.3495.1.1.1.0 = 84
> enterprises.3495.1.1.2.0 = 178
> enterprises.3495.1.1.3.0 = Timeticks: (9176028) 1 day, 1:29:20.28
>

> so how exactly do i enable mrtg to query squid's snmp port? how do i get
> squid and mrtg to work?? (the squid mailing list archive was unvailable at
> this time that i wrote this letter)?

The configuration file that you found is a good starting point. The error
that you recieved is caused because MRTG can not translate that name to a
OID. If you use the MRTG included MIB parser, that will read the Squid MIB
and then allow MRTG to do a name -> OID conversion and therefore work.

glenn