assertion error in carp.c

From: Allen Wittenauer <allenw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:21:49 -0800 (PST)

Howdy all.

I'm in the process of setting up a Very Large Cache system for a Very Large
Company and have run into something that I can't say I've seen before.

Here is the general layout... two servers (running Netscape Proxy) sit on
the firewall and are the only way out to the Internet. Fine. I can set
up squid like so:

---snip---
cache_peer saturn5.ZYX.com parent 8080 7 round-robin default no-digest no-query
cache_peer ariel.ZYX.com parent 8080 7 round-robin default no-digest no-query

never_direct deny INSIDE
never_direct allow all

---snip--

[Above the cache_peer lines, I do the normal defining of ACLs, the various
_access lines, etc. INSIDE is an ACL that reads a text file that has all
of our internal-to-firewall domain names.]

Everything is working great. Internal sites get fetched directly. Outside
sites go through saturn5 and get cached locally to my proxy/cache server.
[FWIW, the firewall machines do not do any local disk caching due to the
fact that there are approx. 30,000 employees who go through those two
machines. They are there simply to punch a secure hole through our firewall.]

Now, if I want to get creative and start turning my single cache into a
family so that I can spread the load a bit and share cache data, I add this
line:

---snip---
cache_peer wc-nwk-01.ZYX.com sibling 8080 5150
---snip---

and suddenly my once happy cache is now throwing these errors:

assertion failed: carp.c:100: "tp->type == PEER_PARENT"

wc-nwk-01 *is* running squid, and in fact, the same binary that is running
on my test cache. Both are running squid-2.2-STABLE5 with three patches
(domain-match.patch, mkhttpdlogtime-end-of-year.patch, and no_cache.patch).
Running without the three patches makes no difference.

So, my questions are:

a) Can I not have both parents and siblings?

b) Have a stumbled onto a bug?

Thanks for any and all assistance. I'm stuck!