Re: Secure Transfer of proxy_auth passwords

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:30:15 -1000

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 01:33:42PM -0600, sdmatott+squid@scooter.uchicago.edu wrote:
> I assume that by default squid sends proxy_auth passwords
> as plain text across the web.
> In other words, when it prompts users for a u-name and passwd
> it then beams these two back to itself as plain-text to be handed over to the
> proxy_auth program, (eg. ncsa_auth or whatever)
> Is this true?

No. The *browser* prompts users for a user-name and password. Squid
doesn't have the ability to magically beam prompts onto users' screens,
or beam things back to itself, without cooperation from the browser.

> If so does anyone know of a way around this, ie a way to make squid
> encrypt passwd's as it sends them across the web, or maybe a way to use
> a challenge/response type system with squid?

Yes. Define a standard for challenge/response authentication with
HTTP, maybe based on CHAP, deal with the backwards-compatibility
issues, promulgate it, get it turned into an RFC, and then get all the
browser authors to support it. Should be doable in about 3 years with
a lot of work.

> It would be nice it our users did not have to send their passwords
> as plain text for all the internet to see.

Yes it definitely would. The above is why nobody else has done it
yet.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.