Re: Communications Exception (-336)

From: Mark Foster <M.E.Foster@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:31:46 +0000

On Wednesday, January 19, 2000 9:23 +0000
Mark Foster <markf@central.susx.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 19, 2000 8:42 +0000
> Mark Foster <M.E.Foster@sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> On Tuesday, January 18, 2000 15:59 +0000
>> Mark Foster <M.E.Foster@sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> When trying to connect to webmail.netscape.com via squid-2.3.STABLE1
>>> I get a Netscape dialog box saying "Communications Exception (-336)".
>>>
>>> There are no errors in cache.log.
>>> The entry in access.log is
>>>
>>> 948210491.902 RELEASE FFFFFFFF 200 948210493 -1 -1 text/html -1/1 659
>>> GET http://webmail.netscape.com/tpl/Door/Login?
>>>
>>> Trying to access http://webmail.netscape.com/tpl/Door/Login? gives the
>>> error.
>>>
>>> Turning OFF the proxy in the browser settings and connecting directly
>>> works fine.
>>>
>>> This happens with browsers on PC, Macintosh and Unix so I can only
>>> assume that the error lies with squid somewhere.
>>>
>>> Any help please?
>>
>> Further to this problem I have noticed that this problem only happens
>> with Netscape browsers. Having installed and fired up a copy of IE
>> it does not appear and I can connect to webmail.netscape.com ok.
>>
>> Next approach is to revert the development platform to 2.2.STABLE5
>> and see if this problem is only in the 2.3 tree.
>
> ... I have just tried the above and can report that the problem does
> seem to be in the 2.3 tree. Reverting to 2.2.STABLE5 I can connect
> using both Netscape and IE browsers with no problems.
>
> Is this a BUG?

More info on this...

This problem is only apparent when using Navigator 4.08 connecting to
webmail.netscape.com via squid-2.3.STABLE1. (communications exception -336)
The platform that Navigator runs on is irrelevant. We are seeing this
from PCs, Macs and Unix boxes.

Bypass squid, no problem.
Use Communicator 4.6/4.7, no problem
Use Explorer, no problem.

I'm sure there must be other web sites out there that will produce this
behaviour too.

I would really appreciate some rsponse to this, people are looking
for a solution here and I would rather NOT have to revert squid
and we are not in a position to upgrade the browsers yet.

Help, please?

--
Mark Foster, University of Sussex Computing Service, Falmer, UK. BN1 9QJ
EMail: m.e.foster@sussex.ac.uk    -    VOICE/FAX: +44 1273 678902/271956