Re: Transparency + Authentication

From: Peter Polkinghorne <Peter.Polkinghorne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:48:29 +0000

Pat Newby said:
[SNIP]
> We now need to run:
>
> - Transparent caching - To force people on site to use the cache.

I would go for ordinary proxying - it is more user visible and with proxy.pac
definitions (and may be with wpad even easier) not too hard. It is the route
we took.

[SNIP]
While I am unfamiliar with transparent proxying, the traditional proxy should
be able to act as the authenticating Squid as well as the site proxy which is
a simplification over having 2 proxies to look after.

> Pat. Pat Newby, IT and Computing Services (ITCS), University of East
> Anglia, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK.

| Peter Polkinghorne, Computer Centre, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH,|
| Peter.Polkinghorne@brunel.ac.uk   +44 1895 274000 x2561       UK          |