Re: Solaris and running out of file descriptors

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:40:40 +0100

Peter K wrote:

> During ./configure it found FD_SETSIZE is 1024, yet that the max file
> descriptors it could open is 128.
>
> /etc/system contains
> set rlim_fd_max = 1024

Have you rebooted?

What is the output of
sh -c "ulimit -Sn"
sh -c "ulimit -Hn"

Squid can not go any higher than the output of ulimit -Hn.

> As per FAQ 11.4 I added #define SQUID_FD_SETSIZE 1024, albeit somewhat
> dubiously since this is not referenced in any of the .[ch] files; it
> seems that DEFAULT_FD_SETSIZE might be more applicable ?

This is old information. Current Squid versions will automatically
redefine FD_SETSIZE to the amount allowed by your OS when poll is used,
unless it is known that redefining FD_SETSIZE does not work on the OS
used.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker