Re: number of dirs

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:46:01 +0100

Florin Andrei wrote:

> Another one: what can be the consequences of overestimate the
> number of dirs? Say, what can happen if i put 256 first-level
> and 256 second-level (or 254/254, as someone said it's optimal
> for Linux) but i really don't need that much, because i have a
> small cache? In what way will be Squid affected?

Squid won't be affected at all I think. Squid is only affected if this
number is too small, and even then it is mostly a matter for the
filesystem..

What will be affected is the amount of free inodes and space in your
filesystem, and the time it takes to run squid -z.

Hmm.. on a second thought. It may have an small effect on how Squids
janitor thread performs (storeDirClean). The difference should barely be
noticeable.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker