A beginner's question

From: gzhgcnew <gzhgcnew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:13:24 +0800

Dear Squid experts:

I'm a beginner of linux and squid,
I have couple of questions on squid during my learning,pls help me.:-)
Question 1: If I were to install squid rpm on a redhat linux box,is it dangerous to do this as root?Because squid's users guide warned that "never install squid as root!",and only the root can install rpms.What should I do? Should I login as a normal user then su to the root?

Question 2: If I were to install squid for a small company,say 500 http pages accessed per day,how should I configure the squid.conf?
I want to use an old 586 machine (66MHZ,1.2GB hard disk,32mb RAM),is it good in this case.

Pls help me.Thanx in advance.