Re: number of dirs

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 01:53:54 +0000

Kevin Hancock wrote:

> Next question, is there an optimum store_avg_object size?

I did a big poll of commercial and private squid caches a year or two back
which - IIRC - yielded 10.5K +/- 0.75K

However, the value is a climatic one. The WWW 'climate' may be different now
than it was. As an example, most of our production servers yield an average
value of 4.5K this year (as opposed to 10.7K last year)

My best suggestion is to set an arbitrary value (the default is fine), leave it
for a time, then figure the _real_ value for your system, and check it
periodically (quarterly).