preventing one user to take all the bandwidth

From: Emmanuel Thiry <ethiry@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:15:52 +0100

Hi,

I run a Linux server with Squid 2.2.stable5 to share an Internet connection
through a ISDN line.
I noticed that when a single user downloads a big file from a high speed
server, he eats the whole bandwidth and every other users are starved and
their web sessions are dramatically slowed down.

I understand that with delay loops I can limit the bandwidth allocated to
one single connection.
But I didn't understand if this limitation can be dynamical.
What I mean is :
-if my big downloader is alone on the line, I'm happy that he gets the
biggest bandwidth available (say 7kB/s)
-but when one (or more) other user connect to browse some web sites, it
would be nice, at that time, to limit the download to, for instance, 80% of
the total bandwidth, so that others can surf more comfortably. Of course,
when the surfer quits, let the download use 100% of the bandwidth.

Can it be done with Squid ?

Emmanuel Thiry
ethiry@itechno.com