Re: DNS bug, or is it my config in 2.3Stable1

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 07:42:48 -1000

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 01:38:10AM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Geoff Nordli wrote:
> > I am running 2.3 Stable1 on Redhat 6.1. It seems that
> > it doesn't like the address of 0.0.0.0 in the resolv.conf
> > file.
>
> > WARNING: Reply from unknown nameserver [127.0.0.1]
>
> 0.0.0.0 is a broadcast address. Broadcasts does not fit well with Suqids
> requirement that the DNS reply comes from a DNS server (and query) it
> has explicitly asked.

It's an archaism from some ancient ancient version of SunOS which is
backwards supported by many name resolver implementations, for
historical reasons. I think modern name resolvers, if they support it,
treat it as a special case and equivalent to 127.0.0.1, though I
haven't looked at the code.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.