Re: Memory usage

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 01:36:50 +0100

Garlic wrote:

> Memory utilization is slowly creeping up. I had assigned cache_mem of
> 128MB but the utilization is now up to 250MB and climbing after just 20
> hours or so. cachemgr says I have 51MB in StoreEntry.

What is the amount of "Store Mem Buffer"? (this is what cache_mem
limits).

> Is this normal behavior?

It depends.

What is the utilization value you quoted? Is it the process size, or
something else?

Have you read the Squid FAQ on memory usage?

> I was going to increase cache_mem but now I am not so sure.

I would lower it a LOT. cache_mem is not a limit on Suqids memory usage,
it is only the size of how much content it will cache in memory. My
recommended value is no more than 20 MB unless you have reason to
believe a higher value perfoms better on your system (i.e. by proving it
in measurements). Squids use if this memory is quite sub-optimal.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker