Re: authentication with time out

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 23:46:26 +0100

Josh Kuperman wrote:

> Is there a way to set up a form so I can redirect patrons to a
> login/logout page that will tell them what's happening instead of just
> the authentication box? I believe I saw someone on the list ask a
> similar question but I never found the answer. I have more or less
> complete control of all servers and browsers.

I guess the closest you can get is to replace the error page that
triggers the dialog box with a explanatory page. The contents of this
error page is visible if you cancel the login dialog (unless you use
IE5, which is fond of replacing servers error messages with whatever
Microsoft thinks is the most and only useful message).

Hmm.. you could take another approach by combining authentication with a
redirector. Instead of denying the authentication, redirect them to a
page telling them that their time is out.

Squid asks the authentication program every authenticate_ttl interval.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker