file descriptor problem

From: <annie.hui@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 20:39:37 +0800

Hi all,

I know that there are many solution provided in the FAQ for the file
descriptor problem....
And I have already followed all the possible procedures to solve this
(change file-max, inode-max, limits.h & types.h)....

However the problem I found out that is I cannot change the FD in the
Rehat Linux 5.2....as I cannot perform the command
# ulimit -n 3000
with error "ulimit: cannot raise limit: Operation not permitted"

I have done this command by root, and our squid version is 2.1-patch2

Can anyone fix this problem under Linux 5.2 with kernel 2.0.36?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Annie Hui
TEL : (852) 2599 2556