Re: no_cache tag..

From: Marc-Adrian Napoli <marcadrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 17:27:43 +1100

Henrik,

> > Will
> >
> > acl HOME dst 203.17.36.0/255.255.255.0
> > no_cache deny HOME
> >
> > work?
>
> Most o the time, but not to 100% unless you patch Squid to make no_cache
> a fullblown ACL check.
>
> I the destination IP address isn't in Squids DNS cache when no_cache is
> evaluated then the above fails on a non-patched Squid. no_cache is
> evaluated quite early in the process, so this will probably happen for
> the first page accessed from each domain name.

Ahh. So the request comes in, the host->IP conversion isn't in Squid's DNS
cache, so my no_cache ACL on the IP address is ignored because the hostname
rather than the IP address is used correct?

> You can limit this effect by using dst type ACL's in http_access
> processing, thus forcing Squid to look up the IP before no_cache is
> evaluated.
>
> acl nowhere dst 0.0.0.0/32
> http_access deny nowhere

Will I be taking a performance hit on this?

I can understand how this all works however i'm slightly confused at the
logic. Even if i don't specify the no_cache for a local webserver, when the
proxy sees a request for a file on that webserver, shouldn't it hit the
webserver itself (provided i'm going through the proxy) and then realise
that the file is different, download it and cache it, serving me the new
one?

Regards,

Marc-Adrian Napoli
Connect Infobahn Australia