Re: no_cache tag..

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:07:19 -1000

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 07:10:41PM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Marc-Adrian Napoli wrote:
>
> > Ahh. So the request comes in, the host->IP conversion isn't in Squid's DNS
> > cache, so my no_cache ACL on the IP address is ignored because the hostname
> > rather than the IP address is used correct?
>
> Correct.
>
> > > acl nowhere dst 0.0.0.0/32
> > > http_access deny nowhere
> >
> > Will I be taking a performance hit on this?
>
> Only on sites not in Squid's DNS cache.

Do you have a "gut feeling" or wild guess as to whether that's a bigger
or smaller hit than matching ca. 800 dst_domain strings per URL, in a
live cache?

If you don't then presumably I'll have to instrument my Squid with
something like Polygraph, and measure its response time myself to come
up with the answer.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.