Re: load balancing transparent cacheservers

From: cougar <cougar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 00:54:51 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Dan Larsson wrote:

> I currently forward port 80 to our transparent cache using firewall rules.
> We are about to install another cache to even out the load.
> How do I make these work in a dns round robin fashion?

Use a DNS name common to both machines, and place two 'A' records for this
name with the IP addresses of both machines ... make sure you're using a
recent version of bind (4.9.3 or later).

Note that the DNS server with continue to hand out the IP address of even
a failed machine. If you want _that_ feature, use a hacked version of
Bind (or something like lbnamed). Check out:

  http://www.stanford.edu/~riepel/lbnamed/

and, above all, have fun!

J.

                     _______
| John V Cougar __ Big | Voice: 61 2 6208 1683 |
| Telstra Internet \/_/ \ Direct | E-Mail: cougar@telstra.net |