Re: Mac's and Transparent mode

From: Eric Stern <estern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:09:18 -0500 (EST)

> > Sorry if this is FAQ but I searched the FAQ and the list archive but
> > didn't see anything.
> >
> > Running SQUID 2.3S1 in transparent mode with Linux and WCCP.
> >
> > Works fine except for some Macs. These all basically just hang.
> > Browser can be either Netscape or IE. Work fine if the cache is used in
> > proxy mode rather than transparent. Also affecting other HTTP
> > applications on the same Mac. Other Macs work fine.

I remember hearing something about this a while ago. If i recall
correctly, it had something to do with Path MTU Discovery. Since the web
connection is being transparently hijacked, MTU discovery doesn't work
correctly (well know fact). However, this fact doesn't seem to bother
anyone but Macs.

Sorry I don't have concrete details or a solution, but maybe that'll help
you in your search.

/ Eric Stern - Industrial Code & Logic Inc. - (519) 249-0508 /
/ http://www..indcl.com /
/ WebSpeedWare - web caching doesn't have to be expensive! /