Squid 2.3.STABLE1 not detecting stale content

From: Marc Evans <marc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:00:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi -

I am running squid version 2.3.STABLE1 as an accelerator for
www.state.nh.us. I have received reports of and verified that updated
content on the originating site (oldwebster.state.nh.us) is not detected
by the squid accelerator for upwards of 30 minutes. This is proving to be
a severe problem, for example with things like winning lottery numbers.

What I am wondering is has anyone else seen this type of problem?

Let me detail an experiment I have done:

        1) use any browser to view www.state.nh.us/lottery/nhlotto.htm
        2) run "touch lottery/*" on the originating server.
        3) manually retype the URL in step 1 (don't use reload/refresh).
        4) observe squid log "TCP_IMS_HIT:NONE" for all graphics.

My expectation is that I should have seen TCP_IMS_MISS in the log. Note
that I have been able to demonstrait the same behavior by editing foo.html
instead of using the touch command (e.g. the edited changes don't show
up).

Suggestions?

- Marc