Re: Help please with seting up SQUID behind a firewall

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 20:12:29 +0100

Stan Brown wrote:

> All I really need to di is get squid to make it's requests on a
> specific port, which is open to all users, on a known machine, using
> SOCKS.

Squid does not support SOCKS proxies, only HTTP proxies.

You need to socksify Squid (could be as simple as using the runsocks
wrapper). There is no modifications in squid.conf which applies to
SOCKS. The patch selection will be done in your socks client
configuration file on the host where Squid runs, not squid.conf.

Another option is to set up a parent proxy which understands Socks (for
example delegate, or another socksified proxy), and configure Squid (in
squid.conf) as use this as a parent..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker