RE: HIT rate up ?!

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:27:26 -0000

> From: Masataka_Tanaka [SMTP:mtanaka@ssd.sony.co.jp]
>
> [ 1 ]
> Currently, cache hit rate in our system is
> about 15% in average, and total access number
> is about 1million or less.
> My users want SQUID to hit cache with higher hit rate
> nowadays.
>
> Is there any effective way to realize this demand?

        Boycott sites that make pages uncacheable without
        justification, or with their commercial benefit
        being the only justification.

        There are other approaches, but if you need to ask
        you probably don't understand cacheing well enough
        to safely use them.

> [ 2 ]
>
> OK, today is Feb 9th, and it's early morning yet.
> There are no users for cache of URL_1.
> I'd like SQUID to update URL_1's cache information
> automatically before no user access it.
> (from Feb 8th's to Feb 9th's)

        Use external scripts to analyze the logs and something like wget
        to re-fetch the pages. However, some sites consider
        automatic fetching to be an illegal use of their web server and will
        block people suspected of doing it. To be legally safe you must
confirm
        that the sites for which you do this permit it before you attempt it
- you
        well find that the sites you most want to do it for are the sites
that
        are most likely to object.

        Also, there may be some dynamic content which is marked as cacheable
        but for which the server cannot handle an If-Modified-Since request,
        with the result that revalidating the page actually re-fetches it.