Re: HTTP works, but FTP does not.

From: Stuart Henderson <sthen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 15:20:03 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 03:54:16PM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > At the mment access to http:// addresses works great, but ftp://
> > addresses get a "Connection Gailed" page back. Is there something I
> > have to do to the default configuration to allow ftp:// pages to be
> > served?
>
> No, it should work I think.
>
> Hmm.. The FTP protocol is a bit tricky with it's separate data channel.
> Perhaps something gets confused there with SOCKS.

SOCKS servers sometimes have options that need tuning
in order to get FTP to work correctly...(surprise!)

This would be so much easier if just one of the 'doze
ftp client authors would support http uploads.. Currently,
I think Netscape browser is the only one which doesn't
require either SOCKS, NAT or an application gateway.