Sendfile and Squid

From: Koushik Chakraborty <kchak@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:22:52 +0530 (IST)

Hi,
  I have written a new version of sendfile system call (in Linux Kernel)
which accepts socket as input (as compared to only file in the original
version) and can multiplex the data to one or more socket or files. I am
trying to incorporate this into Squid. However, in squid, the data is
first appended to StoreEntry from where the client side and the cache
manager picks up (that is what I read from the Docs . correct me if I am
wrong.)

So what I intend to do is fuse some part of the server side (which
actually appends the data in StoreEntry from incoming socket ) and the
cache module. To elaborate, in case the data is not to be cached, I
just pump the data back in the client socket through this system call
without actually appending in StoreEntry. Otherwise, (if it need to be
cached) I mulitplex the data a> into client side socket and b> local
file. The file-descriptor is to be obtained from the cache-manager
module after necessary clearing up of the cache has been done depending
on the data size(for HTTP , the size of the incoming file can be
figured out from the header) .

But very little documentation is present in the actual code and needless
to say I am at a loss.

Can anybody help me out and suggest how to go about this work ?

Thanks in advance,
Koushik.

 Koushik Chakraborty
 Room no. A111, Hall - 1 kchak@iitk.ac.in.