Tuning store_avg_object_size

From: unit3 <unit3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:29:57 -0600

Hi,

I've been running squid for a few months now with a pretty good
improvement in bandwidth usage and surfing time for my LAN, but I've
decided it's time to go through squid.conf and tune everything I feel
safe touching (my cache is on a 486, it needs all the help it can get
:) ).

I was wondering if there's a way to determine the actual average
object size, using the objects that are currently in the cache, to
set the store_avg_object_size parameter?

As well, I can't seem to get the cachemanager cgi running, and I was
wondering if anyone has a webpage with a short walkthrough on getting
it running, or could perhaps walk me through the steps required. I
followed the instructions in the squid FAQ
(http://squid.nlanr.net/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-9.html), but I'm still unclear
about where the actual username and password is configured, and so I
can't log in to it yet. :)

Any and all help is appreciated,
Graeme

--
"It really is coming down to just Apple and IBM. If, for some reason,
we make some giant mistake and IBM wins, my personal feeling is that