Re: proxy_auth_realm and different browsers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 23:22:56 +0100

Josh Kuperman wrote:

> I assume that this is browser dependent, but I have noticed that when
> I password protected a web page the message I used and nothing else,
> appeared in the box in NetScape and within the 40 text characters to
> the right of "Realm" in MSIE's box. This makes me think that Squid is
> adding a few words. If so can I stop it?

Squid can only control the realm part. Anythin else in the dialog box is
added by the browser. Squid also provides exactly the same string to all
browsers.

As far as I know it does not add anything to the string configured in
squid.conf.

What you can do if you need to provide more information is to customize
the error message behind the login dialog. This page of text will be
displayed if the user cancels the login dialog.

Note: For IE5 to show the real error descriptions you must change some
option in the advanced properties.. see last days messages in the
squid-users archives for details. All versions of Netscape always show
the provided error message as far as I know..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker