Re: Forward

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 23:51:34 +0100

Kendall Lister wrote:

> The confusion appears to be that the usual Squid (redirector) approach to
> modifying URLs is to rewrite each individual URL in a one to one fashion
> (hence Henrik's comments). You want to add an entirely different function
> to Squid, being the ability to not only proxy the first URL but in a way
> act as a real web server for that URL, sending a once-off redirection (in
> the HTML sense, not in the sense of Squid's rewriting facility) to another
> URL. Squid, as a proxy, doesn't usually like to interfere with the content
> of pages like this.

Squid already has this. If the redirector returns a HTTP redirect status
code for the URL, then a HTTP redirect is sent to the client.

> Presumably you have control of the domains that you are redirecting to and
> from, so it might be cleaner to handle this on your web server and keep
> Squid as a pure proxy.

Most people doing this does it to direct people to local mirrors. Then
the distinction is more of "do I wan't people to know they are sent to a
local mirror or not".

What is confusing is that what Squid calls a redirector is by default a
URL rewriter, but with redirection capabilities.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker