Re: Squid Cache Server

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:04:08 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Xue Junchao wrote:

> We have one Intel Server with 1*PIII450, 2*SCSI HD 18GB, 256MB RAM, OS
> Linux. There are 20 subnets in our network, near to 1000 PPP users.
> How should I config the file squid.conf to accelerate browse rate for
> our subnets & PPP users?

Read through squid.conf.default - each configuration option is documented.
For most purposes, very little will need to be changed (e.g http_access,
cache_dir).

> I wish no one can access the Cache Server by Proxy Setting(in browser)
> without authorization. In other words, only our subnets & PPP users
> can access the Internet by Transparent Cache Server(identify them by
> IP address or account number).

I don't quite follow your question - if you are not using transparent
proxying, as you shouldn't if you don't understand the ramifications, look
at FAQ section 19.6 for proxy authentication details. If you are using
transparent proxying, I don't believe you can use authentication at all.
However, it seems that you might be asking about restricting access by IP
address rather than by authentication, in which case you should refer to
the http_access directive and writing ACLs to make it do exactly what you
want.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781