FW: Squid & MS Media Player

From: Bradshaw Andrew <andyb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:16:07 -0000

> Hi
> Apologies if this has been covered before . . . .
>
> Background - Feel free to skip !
> I'm piloting a system that will provide Internet access to sites with 6-50
> PCs used by members of the public. Each site will have an avge 64Kbit
> link. My intention is to install proxies at each site which are chained
> to a top level box. I would like to install Squid as both parent & child.
> However probs with MS Media Player give more weight to my managers
> insistence on installing NT & Microsoft Proxy.
>
> I'm trying to setup a group of PCs, running NT, IE4 & IE5, Windows Media
> Player 6.4.07, to use Squid 2.2STABLE5 as their proxy server.
>
> Problem
> Everything is fine until they try to access streaming content in WMP
> format. I have configured WMP to use HTTP only thru the browsers proxy.
> npr.org's audio newsfeed is fine. However, audio & video from
> www.zdnet.com/zdtv/radio and most other sites produce errors along the
> lines of example one below. Most sites that do provide a HTTP Unicast
> feed give similar errors, particularly for video.
>
> If I reconfigure the PCs to go thru a MS Proxy 2.0, the audio video
> streams work ok.
> I tested a few of the sites from my home PC, proxied thru my ISPs Squid
> 2.2STABLE4 server & they worked ok.
>
> My compromise was to install RealPlayer 7.0, which works ok. However, my
> users are complaining that most of the sites they visit provide WMP
> content only.
>
> Help!! -Links to FAQs etc are perfectly acceptable :-)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> Andrew
>

> Example One
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> "Cannot open
> 'mms://ns2-bld.vstream.com/basic/providers/ZD/zdtv/zdtvradio/radio_000217.
> asf'. Please verify that the path and filename are correct and try
> again."
>
> "UDP protocol not enabled. Not trying
> mmsu://ns2-bld.vstream.com/basic/providers/ZD/zdtv/zdtvradio/radio_000217.
> asf. (Error=C00D00D1)
>
> TCP protocol not enabled. Not trying
> mmst://ns2-bld.vstream.com/basic/providers/ZD/zdtv/zdtvradio/radio_000217.
> asf. (Error=C00D00D2)
>
> Invalid name:
> http://ns2-bld.vstream.com/basic/providers/ZD/zdtv/zdtvradio/radio_000217.
> asf. The file name specified is incorrect. (Error=80004005)
>
> Cannot open
> 'mms://ns2-bld.vstream.com/basic/providers/ZD/zdtv/zdtvradio/radio_000217.
> asf'. Please verify that the path and filename are correct and try again.
> (Error=80004005)"
>

> The resulting help from the MS "More Help" button is worth a visit ;-)
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/support/mperr.asp?prd=Window
> s&spb=MediaPlayer&pver=6.4.7.1028&os=WinNT&over=4.0.1381&olcid=0x409&clcid
> =0x809&id=80004005&id=C00D00D2&id=C00D00D1

This communication shall not bind North Lanarkshire Council, its
officials or employees and shall not in any way constitute or form
part of a contract. Any view or opinion expressed in this
communication shall not be construed as that of North Lanarkshire
Council.

the system manager - postmaster@northlan.gov.uk, or the Help Desk on
01698 302254.

www.mimesweeper.com