Re: max filedescriptor on linux

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg <list-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: 17 Feb 2000 17:15:12 GMT

In article <cistron.001f01bf7895$83a349c0$331d4f0a@nb.isel.pt>,
Pedro Ribeiro <pribeiro+reply@isel.pt> wrote:
>Unfortunally that's wrong, my practice says select() IS limited to 1024FD
>(or whatever is in some #defines at the time the kernel is compiled) i
>learned it by the hardest way (a IRC server i'd maintain)

My practice says it isn't, but glibc is (sizeof(fd_set)). If your
glibc uses kernel headers of the running kernel, then fixing up
the kernel headers might have a direct result on glibc. But not
really on the actual kernel !!

>I'v recently started a "thread" in "comp.os.linux.*" & "linux.dev.kernel.*"
>the people that answer-me have confirmed that limitation of select().

Then they are misinformed.

>Take a look at the linux kernel. 8((

I did.

>PS: For a turnaround to this limitation, someone sugested-me the procedure
>described in http://www.volano.com/linux.html "Linux 2.2 kernel file
>descriptors and tasks" (implies kernel recompilation)

They are talking about linux 2.2.5. The 1024 fd limitation was lifted
in more recent 2.2.x kernels (2.2.12 and up, like Henrik said).

Mike.

Reply to the list or to miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)