authentication in squid 2.x

From: Jim Chivas <j_chivas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:47:30 -0800 (PST)

Greetings:

I received several suggestions on how to authenticate users. I have tried
installing ncsa example but I do not get asked for a userid/password when
I use the proxy. I have added the folloiwmng to my squid.conf file:

authentication_program <path to ncsa program> <path to passwd file>

acl auth proxy_auth REQUIRED

proxy_auth_realm Internet Access

Could it be that the following acl is somehow overriding auth by allowing
access to the proxy for all my local ip ranges first.

acl allowed_hosts src x.x.x.x

I want to be able to allow my ip ranges plus ask them for authentication.

Thanks

Jim

Jim Chivas, Computing/Network Services email: jchivas@langara.bc.ca
Langara College fax: (604) 323-5349
100 West 49th Avenue Voice: (604) 323-5390
Vancouver, B.C., Canada http://www.langara.bc.ca
V5Y 2Z6