Re: cache digests

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:43:22 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Max V. Bouglacoff wrote:

> My squid has sibling and parent relations with three other servers and
> receives digests from them, but I see no DIGEST HITs or MISSes, only ICPs!
> What's the problem?

Once you've built Squid with cache digest support (--enable-cache-digests),
ensure your cache_peer lines for peers from which you wish to receive digests
do NOT have the "no-digest" option.

Next, fire up cachemgr.cgi and check "Peer Selection Algorithms" and ensure
the cache digests are being successfully retrieved from the peers. An example
successfully retrieved cache digest:

  peer digest state:
          needed: yes, usable: yes, requested: no
  [...]
          last request result: success
  [...]
  peer digest structure:
  [...] digest: size: 1132308 bytes
           entries: count: 805674 capacity: 1811692 util: 44%

An example failed retrieval of a cache digest:

  peer digest state:
          needed: yes, usable: no, requested: no
  [...]
          last request result: Not Found
  [...]
  peer digest structure:
          no in-memory copy

Note, in the first case the digest is "usable: yes" whereas in the second case
it's "usable: no" (cause, "Not Found" - probably no cache digests configured
at the peer's end).

Finally, check "Peer Cache Statistics" in cachemgr.cgi to see whether or not
objects are being fetched from those peers. This is probably only of use if
ICP is disabled for that peer (as PINGS SENT will be zero, yet FETCHES will
increase). Your logs will only show cache digest HITs - there's no point
logging a cache digest MISS.

Cheers..

dave