AW: patch-2.5.4 on hp-ux 10.20 can't find patch in patch-file

From: Grabmann Martin <martin.grabmann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:55:22 +0100

hello roger,

sorry, for not posting the answer from christan, but it was in german.
i couldn't find the mail from christian but i tell you the story.

1. patch-programm and patching squid

i downloaded the patch-programm from http://hpux.asknet.de and i thougt this
programm causes the error, bit it didn't

christian told me not to use the hp-patch programm and i looked on my
machine and saw there is already the programm patch installed by hp. this
programm caused the error, not the one which i installed as a binary-sd
package from the site above. in my path-variable the /usr/bin comes before
the path where the new patch-software resides. so i used an absolute
path-name and surprise - it works.

i patched the squid as it is described in the squid-faq with the one
exception that you must execute the patch-programm in the path where the
file resides which you want to patch (.../src or .../lib or something else)

2. compiling gnu-patch

christian told me not to use patch-2.5.4 but patch-3.78.1. but i couldn't
find them on http://www.gnu.org.

to compile patch-2.5.4 you have to use the --disable-largefile option with
the configure command. (found in gnu.utils.bug forum at deja.com).
i did this and then another error occurd in util.c i guess. there was a mail
to the forum about this error but no answer how to correct them. i didn't
worked on this problem because it is solved now which the patch-software
described above.

christian also told me to install the latest hp-ux-patches and if possible
to use gcc-2.9.x

hope this helps
if need more information feel free to send an email.

martin