Re: cache digests

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:17:28 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Max V. Bouglacoff wrote:

> >Note, in the first case the digest is "usable: yes" whereas in the second case
> >it's "usable: no" (cause, "Not Found" - probably no cache digests configured
> >at the peer's end).
>
> Digests are usable.

If it's all success and usable, then you should see some cache digest hits in
your logs - depending on how many objects are in the peer's digest and whether
or not any of them matches your requests.

> >Finally, check "Peer Cache Statistics" in cachemgr.cgi to see whether or not
> >objects are being fetched from those peers. This is probably only of use if
> >ICP is disabled for that peer (as PINGS SENT will be zero, yet FETCHES will
> >increase). Your logs will only show cache digest HITs - there's no point
> >logging a cache digest MISS.
>
> I've checked this first and all seem to be ok!

Remember, this is only useful if ICP is disabled; if ICP is enabled, then
you'll be seeing a lot of those requests in this stats page.

> Another question: when I have one or more parents I get peer digest
> state `Forbidden' for them all. Ex.:
> cache_peer proxy.ukrsat.com parent 3128 3130
> cache_peer sv.us.ircache.net sibling 3128 3130
> And when all of my peers are siblings I get `success'. Ex.:
> cache_peer proxy.ukrsat.com sibling 3128 3130
> cache_peer sv.us.ircache.net sibling 3128 3130
> Why is that?

No idea - it works for me (2.2.STABLE5). proxy.ukrsat.com would need to check
their logs and see what's different between the two cache digest
requests. Presumably some request header is different...

dave