Re: Cache problem

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 08:46:13 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, fred Jacoby wrote:

> setup seems tp be ok but when i tried to run squid -z to create cache
> directories, i got the following error : enable to create cache
> directories /usr/local/squid/cache/ : Permission denied.
>
> P.S. : I'm running as root

Could I suggest making the following change to section 3.5 of the FAQ:

Squid version 2.X

First, you must create the cache directories. Do this by running Squid
with the -z option. Note that the user you specified in the squid.conf
directive 'cache_effective_user' must have full access to the 'cache_dir'
directories that you have set up. A common configuration for cache
directories is to use whole partitions - you should ensure that the mount
point directory is owned by the user as which Squid is set to run.

I think that a lot of the problems we see on this list come from the issue
covered in that last sentence; I know that this is covered by section
11.22 of the FAQ, but putting it here as well might head off some
complaints. I would also suggest adding it to the QUICKSTART document - I
know that that document is just supposed to contain the basics, but this
question gets asked so often that it would be worth considering adding the
answer to what is probably the only documentation most people read.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781