RE:Squid!

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:39:23 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Raymond Mutura wrote:

> I have just configured Squid. I would like to find out a number of
> things.

Talk about going from one extreme to another... :)

> 1. How do I know what version of squid I am running.?

Obviously you didn't install it yourself (the Squid tar balls are named
for their version number) so your best bet is to check the first line
Squid puts in its access.log each time it is started.

> 2. How do I fix patches for squid.?

At this stage, if you don't have experience patching source code you'd
probably be better of waiting until the next official version is released.
That said, to patch Squid you download the patch you want and then use the
'patch' program - 'man patch' will get you started, but 'patch
<patch_file_name>' might be enough. You can always start again with fresh
source code, so experiment and you'll soon leanr it much better than
anyone could teach you.

> 3. How do i enable proxy_auth for squid?

Read FAQ section 19.6, and then ask here when you have specific problems.

> 4. hod do I enable proxy_auth using SMB?

In the Squid source tree, read auth_modules/SMB/README - admittedly, this
just gives you a URL, but I can't remember it, so look it up :).

And have a look at the last few days of posts to this mailing list,
because SMB authentication has just been discussed in some detail.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781