Problems running squid

From: Tewari, Vijay <vijay.tewari@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:35:31 -0800

I am running squid ver 2.2.stable5 on linux 2.2.12

I am running squid currently with -NCd1 flag.

I am running some experiments so I am sending a
large amount of traffic via squid to a server.

I see the following

"WARNING you are running out of file descriptors"

by changing the value in /proc/sys/fs/file-max

I also made a change to linux/linits.h (OPEN_MAX 4096)

When I run ./configure for recompiling squid I still see
that it gets the max value as 1024. Where else
do I need to make the change.?
I also as an alternative made the change by hand to autoconf.h to
reflect a value of 4096 for the FD's and
recompiled squid, but when it starts it still says getting 1024 file
descriptors.

Where am I going wrong
Thanks
Rgds