file_map_allocate: Exceeded filemap limit

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:22:06 +0200

On a RedHat Linux 6.0 i386 with SQUID 2.2 STABLE4, after a couple of
months running fine, suddently I'm getting this message in the
/var/log/messages

(squid): file_map_allocate: Exceeded filemap limit
squid[8475]: Squid Parent: child process 8515 exited with status 1

and after some seconds squid process exits.

I have deleted all the cache directories and reinitialised with -z.
For the moment all is working fine but the question still remains:

what was the problem and how can I prevent it in the future!

Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA