Problems with cache misses when using Squid in httpd accelerator mode

From: Danny Cecil <danny.cecil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:02:35 -0800

Does anyone have any links to technical information or white papers on using
Squid as an httpd accelerator? We're currently using Squid as a reverse
proxy for our commercial web site ( <http://www.deepcanyon.com/>
www.deepcanyon.com) and I've been trying to debug some problems with cache
misses. Overall things are working well, but I am seeing a number of
cacheable database queries that don't get consistently cached, i.e., we're
getting about a 50% cache hit ratio on the same set of cacheable database
queries. Since our site is relatively small, and we have a large cache
configured for Squid (3 Gb), it seems to me that once an item is loaded into
cache, it should be fetched from cache until it ages out. I've been pulling
my hair out trying to debug this problem and have not found a lot of
information on configuring/tuning Squid as a reverse proxy. Any pointers or
ideas that you have would greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Danny Cecil
www.deepcanyon.com