Re: ftp accessing

From: Timo Eppler <eppler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 02:16:13 +0100

hi, i'm using squid on 2.2.14 with ip-masquerading....

works fine, even the ftp-thingie... i had to change my ftp-client to
PASV-mode-transfer though.
otherwise it wouldn't connect to any ftp-server.

squid is an http-proxy and not an ftp-proxy...

if your squid-box is gateway in your network, then either redirect your
ftp-requests via ipchains/ipwadm or use ip-masq.

regards

Timo Eppler
multimedics GbR

At 10:52 14.03.00 +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:
>According to Clifton Royston:
> >
> >If you want other (non-browser) FTP clients to go through your proxy
> >server, this will not work.
>
>It does work if you have a capable ftp client. Luke Mewburn developed
>a ftp client for NetBSD that is able to use a squid proxy to fetch
>files, this makes autofetching files in the NetBSD package system via
>a proxy very nice. Luke released his ftp client as lukemftp (IIRC)
>and has done work to make lukemftp compile on non-NetBSD systems.
>
>--
>Brett Lymn, Computer Systems Administrator, BAE SYSTEMS

Timo Eppler
multimedics - Wagner, Eppler, Herrmann GbR
Lichtensteinstrasse 30 72770 Reutlingen
Phone 07072 - 921 777 Mobil 0172 - 7 333 268
http://www.multimedics.de eppler@multimedics.de